First, a bit about us
We are a small business with a difference: we are backed by some of the largest VC and family office funds in the world and we work with some of the biggest companies to unleash the potential of data.
We don’t really know what it means to be Scotland’s “most exciting” or “fastest-growing” start-up as we have no way to measure ourselves like that. What we do know is we love coming to work, our customers can’t get enough of what we do and we have the potential to change the way global businesses gain disruptive insight from data.
We are a team of like-minded people who enjoy working hard and spending time together, both at work and socially. We are now scaling up our team to meet customer demand and are looking for talented individuals to join us.
The type of person we’re looking for
Experience has taught us that you can achieve exponentially more with less if you have the right people. We like people who dare to be different – who like solving difficult problems and who have the ambition to reach their full potential (whatever that means to them).
We don’t really care how many years’ experience you have; it’s what you can do that matters, not how long you have been doing it. We reward our people based on the value they bring to the company and whilst it is difficult to tell, we think we offer the best reward package around. Did we mention the unlimited holidays and free stuff we all get?
The type of things you’ll be doing
You will be part of a small team doing exciting things with data and business intelligence.
You won’t be bored, nor micro-managed. You will be working with the best tools, practices and technology available. The tech stack is young, so you still have the opportunity to influence the development of a clean and modern ES6, React and Python 3 codebase.
We love everything Agile and your role will change daily. We have a dedicated in-house UX/UI design team that are reinventing the way business interacts with data so you will always have modern and fresh designs to bring to life.
From day one, your opinion matters; we value talent and we want you to have a voice in the company. We will be counting on you to bring your ideas and challenge the way things are done. We don’t believe in hierarchical management structures; every team member brings something to the table. You will be working in a great location just off Charlotte Square in central Edinburgh (although we’re happy for you to work from home when you need to).
What we can offer you
We understand that it is not just about money; we believe it is a combination of things that our people value about our rewards:
- Uncapped holiday allowance (although we expect you to take at least 30 days!) – we work hard. If we need a break, then we need a break.
- Flexible working – as long as the work gets done we don’t mind where it gets done.
- Competitive salary – we have checked, and we pay the best!
- Parental leave - there are a number of parents in the office, so we know how it is!
- Free stuff – we want to look after you and make sure work is a fun place to be.
- Space to grow – we encourage projects or interests outside work; they are an important part of our creativity and drive to succeed in life, so we do what we can to help encourage these.
- Conference budget - want to attend a relevant event or conference? We can cover that.
- Training and personal development budget - we’re happy to help you develop your skills and knowledge. If we can’t teach you here, we’ll find the people who can.
- Parties – yes, we know how to do that as well.
Something not on the list? Great, just let us know! That’s the beauty of joining at this stage: you get to shape the company of the future.
What you can offer us
- Solid commercial experience building backend software in Python.
- Commercial experience on a UNIX-like platform.
- An understanding of architectural and design best practices and how to make flexible and scalable software that never fails.
- A genuinely perfectionist attitude to development, tempered by just enough pragmatism.
What would really float our boat
- GIS experience.
- Data science, mathematical, graph theory, machine learning, or AI fields of study or experience.
- Experience dealing with very large volumes of data, high performance computing or low latency situations.
- MongoDB, Riak, Redis, Cassandra, CouchDB or similar.
- PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Docker+Swarm, Træfik, nginx, AWS, git, TeamCity.
- Apache Spark or Hadoop.
We like to think big. Brainnwave is no place for the small minded. We celebrate individuality, uniqueness and diversity.
Everyone's personalities, experiences, backgrounds, perspectives and ideas have a huge impact on our culture and the products we build. We’re proud to be an employer where all of our staff can benefit from equal access to professional development and bring their entire personality to work.